Sunday, September 29, 2013

Carter & Logan are 1 Month Old (36+3)!

Though their adjusted age is still negative one month old, our boys are officially one month old and boy, did this month go by in a blink of an eye! Logan gave me the best birthday gift ever – he is off all oxygen support! His nasal cannula came off this morning and he has done great breathing on his own. Both of them are taking 3-4 bottles in a 24 hour period now and to come home, they need to be able to finish 8 bottles (all of their feedings).  Maybe it’s a matter of 2 weeks, maybe 4 – nobody knows. Nurses tell me white boys are the slowest to learn to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time and black girls are the fastest. But once they get it, they get it. So, we just have to wait until they figure it out!

Out little Logan has really filled out – even since I took these pictures 3 days ago, he looks different. His eyes are less puffy and he just seems overall happier now that he isn’t wasting sooo much energy trying to take his nasal cannula off. He sure was hating that thing on his face!

Carter was ahead for a while there (was allowed to have as many as 5 bottles!) but he got tired and they lowered his bottle feedings to 3-4, which gave Logan time to catch up. Now we think they will come home at the same time…


We are even more used to our routines. I spend my days at the NICU and M goes after work. On weekends our parents visit and by the way, they got to hold the boys for the first time this weekend! It was really cool!  I have been back to running the household – cooking and finding time to do all the other little stuff. I think my body is fully adjusted to getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night. I make myself get up in the mornings and start knocking out errands. My goals are to spend lots of time with my kids and to take care of the house, cook, freeze meals, and make sure I am pumping at least 8 times a day. The NICU milk supply called yesterday and said they ran out of room to store my milk, so our deep freezer is now getting fully utilized. Good problem to have! I got at least 2-3 weeks on these boys!



No comments:

Post a Comment