Sunday, September 22, 2013

35+3

Sunday night – exhausted after a long day in the NICU (what’s new?).  M and I got there early to learn how to bathe our litter before our parents came over for visits – his at 1 and mine at 2:30. Bathing lesson went well! So amazing to me how different and BIG these kiddos look each day, even to me and I see them daily! Logan and Carter were both super alert during their baths but seemed to enjoy them. M bathed Logan and I bathed Carter. Team work!

Logan also had his very first nutritive feeding today and knew exactly what to do! So proud of our two little boys for their good appetite and more importantly, breathing/eating coordination. The nurses tell us that each feeding at this age is like running a marathon for them. No wonder they pass out within 15 minutes of us starting the feeding. ;-)

Carter is now completely off all breathing support and takes 5 of his 8 feedings by bottle. Going home is just around the corner!!  Logan is still on 1.5L of room air per hour (think of it as a light wind going through his nasal cannula), and as I mentioned just started learning how to eat.

Tuesday will be a rough day for Logan – he has his Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) screening, which he needs to have done only because of his low birth weight.  Carter won’t need to have that one done. The test itself takes only 5 minutes but entails keeping the eye open with a special device, similar to what they put on me when I had LASIK surgery. Of course, babies hate it and scream at the top of their lungs. I hated it too! So, I hope I will conveniently not be there for it. Although, I never know when the doctors make their rounds…

The biggest topic of the day has been the boys’ chins. Logan (our blondie) has a butt chin like his dad. Carter’s chin is rounded and he has dark hair. I don’t think there is any question about them being fraternal now!!


I got my new pump in the mail!! This is a big deal because the Ameda Purely Yours that my insurance paid for was no good and couldn’t do the job. So, I have been renting the Medela Symphony from the hospital for $29/week and it’s been good but very expensive. Anyway! The pump I got is the Spectra Dew 350, a hospital grade pump that they use in Taiwan. It’s even better than the $700 Medela Symphony pump but only cost me $70 on ebay! Woot! I love it.  Considering I don’t have a baby (or two) to love on at all times, I have taken to pumping as my job and became pretty emotionally attached to my pump.  ;-)

In the pics below, Dad's with Logan and I am with Carter.




No comments:

Post a Comment